Can An Instant Pot Be Used for Canning?
An Instant Pot is a multi-functional kitchen appliance that can do much more than just make a simple pot of soup. Modern Instant Pots can do so much more than traditional slow cookers and boiling pots they can replace — including canning! While it may sound strange, you can use an Instant Pot for canning.
What is Canning?
Simply put, canning is a way of preserving food. Normally, food that is canned will last for quite some time and can be stored either on shelves or in a pantry. There are two main types of canning processes — water bath and pressure canning. Both methods involve heating jars of food and sealing them in an air-tight container.
How To Use an Instant Pot to Can
An Instant Pot isn’t just great for cooking soups and stews. It can also be used for canning. Here is a simple guide on how to do so:
- Step 1: Put jars in the inner pot and fill with water. Secure the lid and select “Steam” mode. Start the Instant Pot and press the “Cancel” button when the water starts to boil.
- Step 2: Load the jars of food into the inner pot and secure the lid. Select “Pressure Cook” mode and set the timer for the appropriate amount of time.
- Step 3: Once the timer is done, open the lid and remove the jars with a jar lifter. Let the jars cool for several hours before handling.
Once you’ve followed these steps, you’ll have a safe and delicious batch of canned food.
Before you decide to can with your Instant Pot, there are some things to consider.
- Make sure your Instant Pot is suitable for the size and amount of food you intend to can.
- Make sure to follow instructions from the manufacturer when using an Instant Pot for canning.
- Instant Pots are not designed to can foods with low acid content, such as tomatoes, potatoes, and green beans.
Canning food with an Instant Pot is a great way to preserve food while having the convenience of a high-tech kitchen appliance. Just remember to follow the directions from the manufacturer and always pay attention to any safety warnings.