Can Cardinal Flowers Grow in Pots?
Cardinal flowers, also known as Lobelia cardinalis, are a striking addition to any garden or outdoor area. These plants are attractive as they produce vibrant red or sometimes pink blooms throughout the summer and can easily be grown in your garden. But can cardinal flowers also be grown in pots?
Yes, Cardinal Flowers Can Be Grown in Pots!
Yes, cardinal flowers can be grown in pots. These plants are not suitable for a standard pot, so you will need to use a large one, such as a five-gallon pot or up to a 15-gallon pot depending on the placement of the pot in your garden.
Tips for Growing Cardinal Flowers in Pots
When growing cardinal flowers in pots, you will need to follow a few steps to ensure success. These steps include:
- Choose a Pot: Make sure the pot is large enough, at least five gallons. It should also have drainage holes in the bottom.
- Pick the Right Soil: Be sure to use a good quality potting mix that drains well. You can also add some compost to the mix for extra nutrients.
- Place in the Right Spot: Cardinal flowers need lots of sun, so make sure the pot is in an area that gets direct sunlight for most of the day.
- Water Regularly: Cardinal flowers need to be watered regularly, around two to three times a week. However, be sure not to over water the plants.
- Fertilise: Fertilising the plants every month will ensure they get the nutrients they need to thrive.
- Deadhead: To encourage more blooms, be sure to deadhead the spent flowers. This will also help keep the plant looking neat and tidy.
Cardinal flowers can be grown in pots, and following the steps above should help ensure that they thrive. However, it is important to note that these plants need lots of light and regular watering. They also require more frequent fertilizing than if planted in the ground. With proper care, cardinal flowers can be a beautiful and vibrant addition to your garden.