Growing Asparagus In a Pot
Growing asparagus is a great way to add some fresh veggies to your home garden or balcony container. But can you also grow asparagus in a pot? The answer is a definite yes! Here are the simple steps to follow:
Before You Begin
- Choose your pot: Choose a pot with ample drainage. Clay is a great choice as it allows for more air flow. Make sure your pot has at least one drainage hole in the bottom.
- Choose your soil: Pick a soil that drains well. Compost and lightweight soils are great options.
Planting Your Asparagus
- Fill your pot with soil up to a few inches below the top.
- Add some compost to the soil and mix it in.
- Plant your asparagus crowns 1 foot apart.
- Cover the crowns with a couple of inches of soil.
- Water generously.
Caring for Your Asparagus
- Keep the soil moist but not soggy.
- Fertilize once a month during the growing season.
- Harvest your asparagus in the second or third year.
Growing asparagus in a pot is a great way to add this nutritious veggie to your home garden or balcony. With a bit of care and attention, you’ll be able to enjoy growing and harvesting your own asparagus at home.