Can I Steam Tamales in my Instant Pot?
Tamales are a delicious, traditional Mexican food, made from masa dough (a corn-based dough) filled with a beef and/or pork filling, and then wrapped and steamed in a corn husk or banana leaf. But did you know that you can expedite the process of making tamales by using your instant pot?
The Basics of Steaming Tamales in an Instant Pot
The process of steaming tamales is actually quite easy in an instant pot and requires minimal effort. Here’s what you need to know:
- Preparing the Tamales: Start by filling the moisture cup with either chicken or vegetable broth. Place each of the tamales standing upright in the wire rack and then place the rack on top of the moisture cup.
- Start the Pressure Cooking Process: Make sure to seal the instant pot lid and close the valve. Set the timer for 20 minutes on the high-pressure level.
- Release Pressure: After the timer ends, open the vent valve to release the pressure. Afterwards, carefully open the lid and take out the tamales.
- Finish the Tamales: The last step is to finish off your tamales. Take them out of their husks and serve them with your favorite salsa or toppings.
Cooking Tips for Making Perfect Tamales in an Instant Pot
One of the best things about steaming tamales in an instant pot is that it really is quick and easy. But there are a few tips to keep in mind in order to make sure your tamales come out perfectly!
- Pack Tamales Tightly: Make sure to pack the tamales tightly together in the pot to ensure they steam evenly.
- Use Fresh Masa Dough:For the best results, make sure to use freshly-prepared masa dough. This will give your tamales a softer texture.
- Don’t Use Too Much Liquid:Make sure to not overfill the moisture cup with liquid or the tamales will be too soggy.
- Be Patient: Tamales take time to steam properly, so make sure to be patient and let them cook all the way through.
By following these steps and tips, you can easily make perfect tamales in no time with an instant pot!