How to Cook Navy Beans in a Crock-Pot
Cooking navy beans in a crock-pot is a prime example of just how versatile the appliance is! The slow-cooking process helps to bring out the flavor and texture in the beans. Keep reading if you are looking for an easy and delicious approach to preparing navy beans.
What You Will Need:
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 1 or 2 quarts of vegetable juice or beef broth
- Salt to taste
- Optional seasoning
- Rinse: Begin by rinsing your navy beans in a colander. Be sure to pick out any debris from the beans.
- Soak: Place the navy beans into the crock-pot and cover with 2 inches of cold water. Soak the beans for 8-10 hours or overnight.
- Drain: Once the soaking period has ended, drain the water from the beans.
- Cook: Add the vegetable juice or beef broth to your crock-pot. You should pour enough liquid to cover the beans by an additional two inches. Add in salt to taste, as well as any other seasonings you prefer. Simmer on low for 6-8 hours.
- Enjoy: Your cooked navy beans will provide a creamy texture and robust flavor. Enjoy the navy beans in the comfort of your own home!
Tips for Success:
- Be sure to use a large crock-pot. You don’t want the beans to be overcrowded.
- If your beans aren’t soft after the 6-8 hour cooking period, give them an additional 1-2 hours.
- To give the beans an added flavor, consider adding chopped garlic, onions, chili powder, smoked ham or bacon, or even a tablespoon of tomato paste.
Cooking navy beans in a crock-pot could not be any simpler! With this easy method, you can create a flavorful dish with little effort. Get creative in the kitchen and customize your navy beans with preferred seasonings and ingredients.