How to Disinfect a Neti Pot
A neti pot is a device used to irrigate the nasal passages with warm saltwater. It helps to clear away built up mucous, reduce irritation in the nasal passages, and reduce the symptoms of colds and allergies. In order for a neti pot to remain effective, it is important to disinfect it regularly.
Steps to Disinfect a Neti Pot:
- Remove the Filter:If your neti pot has a filter, remove it and rinse it with warm water.
- Rinse the Device:Rinse the neti pot and any accessories with luke warm water.
- Create a Disinfection Solution:Mix a solution of 4 cups of water with 1 teaspoon of bleach, rinse, and ensure it is fully combined.
- Soak:Place the neti pot and accessories in the disinfection solution and let them soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Rinse:Remove the neti pot and any accessories from the disinfection solution then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Dry: Thoroughly dry the neti pot and any accessories with a clean cloth.
- Mix a fresh batch of disinfection solution each time the neti pot needs to be disinfected
- When the neti pot is not in use store it in a clean, dry place
- After the neti pot is disinfected, wait 8-12 hours before using it again
- Be sure to follow the manufacturer directions when using any disinfectant solutions.
By taking the proper steps to disinfect a neti pot, you can ensure that it remains free of bacteria and other microbes. This helps to prevent infection and allows the neti pot to continue to effectively treat irritations in the nasal passages.