How to Make Dal in an Instant Pot
A great meal for any time of year, especially for colder months, is dal. The protein-packed lentil dish is full of flavor and quick and easy to make. Here’s a step-by-step guide for making dal with an Instant Pot.
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup of dry lentils
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Chopped herbs, such as cilantro or parsley, to garnish
- Heat: Turn the Instant Pot to the Sauté setting and heat the oil. Add the chopped onion and cook until just starting to brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Flavor: Add the minced garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add Lentils: Add the dry lentils to the pot and stir to combine.
- Build Flavor: Add the tomato paste, cumin, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Pressure Cook: Add the water and stir to combine. Close the lid and set the pressure release valve to “Sealing.” Select the Manual or Pressure Cook setting and set the cooking time for 10 minutes.
- Natural Pressure Release: When cooking is complete, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then use the quick release to release any remaining pressure.
- Finish: Carefully remove the lid and stir to combine. Let the dal sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Serve: Serve the dal in individual bowls and garnish with freshly chopped herbs. Enjoy!
With an Instant Pot, you can make deliciously flavorful dal in no time – perfect for busy weeknights. All it takes is a few simple ingredients, a few minutes of prep, and you’ll have a flavorful dinner on the table in no time. Enjoy!