How to Make Roux for Chicken Pot Pie
Roux is an important component of making chicken pot pie. Here’s how to make the perfect roux for a delicious chicken pot pie.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk for about 1 minute.
- Slowly add the vegetable broth while whisking, until it is fully incorporated.
- Continue whisking for about 3 minutes, or until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Let the roux cool for 5 minutes before adding it to your chicken pot pie.
- It’s important to whisk constantly while adding the broth to prevent the roux from becoming lumpy.
- You can make a darker roux by continuing to cook the roux for a few more minutes over medium-low heat.
- Adding some herbs or spices such as parsley, thyme, or garlic powder can add some extra flavor to your roux.
Roux is an essential part of creating a delicious chicken pot pie. Now that you know how to make roux, try it out in your own chicken pot pie recipe and enjoy the result!