How to Repair Flaking Terracotta Pots
Taking care of terracotta pots that are in your garden can be a challenge. To keep your pots looking their best, it is important to repair the terracotta when it starts to flake. This article will teach you how to repair your terracotta pot to restore it to its original beauty.
- Terracotta Repair Kit
- Terracotta Pot
Steps to Repairing Flaking Terracotta
- Step 1: Clean the terracotta pot with soapy water and a stiff brush to remove dirt, grime and any moss that may be growing on it. Rinse it off with water and allow it to dry.
- Step 2: Using sandpaper, lightly sand the areas of the terracotta pot that are flaking. This will help the repair kit bond better to the pot.
- Step 3: Use the terracotta repair kit to fill in the cracks and gaps in the terracotta pot. Follow the instructions on the repair kit to mix and apply it correctly. Allow it to dry for the recommended time.
- Step 4: Once the repair kit has dried, use sandpaper again to smooth out any rough spots that may have formed. Don’t worry about making it perfect, as the terracotta will look more natural with some imperfections.
Tips to Prevent Further Flaking
- Keep terracotta pots in an area that doesn’t get direct sun.
- Use a pot liner if you need to move the pot frequently.
- Water your plants regularly, as terracotta is more likely to crack when it is dry.
- Keep your terracotta pots sealed with a coat of clear sealer to prevent them from absorbing moisture.
Taking care of your terracotta pots will make sure that they last longer and look great. With regular maintenance, you can avoid extensive repairs like the one outlined above and keep your terracotta pots looking their best.