How to Steam Tamales in the Instant Pot
Tamales are a delicious Mexican treat that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, and even dinner! Traditionally, they are cooked by steaming in a pot filled with hot water. However, with the invention of the Instant Pot, cooking tamales is even easier. Read on to learn how to steam tamales in your Instant Pot with minimal effort.
What You Need
- Tamales (You may use store bought tamales or make your own.)
- Instant Pot
- Trivet (Often comes with the Instant Pot when you purchase it.)
- Tongs (This makes handling the tamales much easier!)
- Put 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot and insert the trivet. Place the tamales on top of the trivet, making sure none are touching eachother or the sides of the pot.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and press the “Steaming” button or select the “Steam” setting.
- Set the timer for 12 minutes. Once the time is up, allow the pot to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes.
- Carefully open the lid and remove the tamales with a pair of tongs.
- Enjoy your delicious, steamed tamales!
- Test the tamales before serving. If they don’t feel firm, give them a few extra minutes in the Instant Pot.
- Be careful when opening the Instant Pot as the steam can be hot. Use an oven mit or a kitchen towel.
- Tamales are great served with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, or a simple sprinkle of lime juice.
Steaming tamales in the Instant Pot is a quick, easy, and delicious way to enjoy this popular Mexican dish. Now that you know how to do it, you can get started making your own tasty tamales at home!