How to Use the Steamer Function on Your Instant Pot
Have you recently purchased an Instant Pot pressure cooker, but don’t know how to use the steamer function? Don’t worry! Below are easy-to-follow instructions on how to use this versatile appliance.
What You’ll Need
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Steamer basket
- Food to steam
- Liquid of your choice – suggested liquids are water, stock, seasoned water or wine
- Trivet (included with Instant Pot)
- Set the Instant Pot to “Steam” setting. When the pot has preheated, the light should come on to tell you that it is ready to use.
- Place the steamer basket inside. If your steamer basket is too large for the Instant Pot, use a piece of tin foil to form a tent and cover the food.
- Fill the Instant Pot with the desired liquid. The suggested liquids are water, stock, seasoned water or wine. Do not overfill. The maximum line is clearly indicated on the pot.
- Place the trivet inside the pot. This is important to ensure that the food isn’t submerged in the cooking liquid and remains sitting above it.
- Place the food in the steamer basket. Make sure that the food isn’t overcrowded, as this will affect the cooking time.
- Close the lid and turn the pressure valve to sealing. Don’t forget to do this step!
- Choose the Cook Time. You can use the buttons next to the display screen to manually set the cooking time, or press the “Steamer” button and select the appropriate time for the type of food that you’re cooking.
- Press Start. The Instant Pot will start to build the pressure and will begin counting down the cooking time.
- Release the steam when the cooking is done. Use the natural release method, which means that you should wait for the steam to release before opening the lid, or you can switch the pressure valve to release all the remaining steam.
And that’s it! Now you know how to use the steamer function of your Instant Pot. Enjoy!