Wintering Mums in Pots
With a little bit of effort, you can enjoy your mums in potted form all the way through winter. Here are a few tips to help make sure you get the most beautiful blooms this cold season:
Steps for Wintering Mums in Pots
- Choose mums that are hardy in your USDA zone.
- Choose pots with a depth of at least 18” and with at least one drain hole.
- Choose a potting soil that is well-draining and will not get too cold, like Peat-lite Soil.
- Set up the pots on a porch or in another area that is protected from wind.
- Fill the pot with potting soil up to 1” from the top.
- Add mulch around the plant to help it retain moisture.
- Water your mums to keep the soil moist but not soggy.
- Add a layer of mulch at the top of the pot in late winter to protect the roots.
Finally, if you live in an area that gets really cold during the winter, you may want to bring your potted mums indoors to provide them with more protection. This will also help you enjoy them as they bloom through winter into spring.
With some extra protection and care, you can enjoy your mums in pots through winter, so don’t be afraid to give it a try!